National Institute for Child and Family Development (NICFD), Mahidol University and Faculty of Human Ecology, Bogor Agricultural University, Indonesia have a collaboration in the field of science and social science. Continuing in this collaboration, on 28 July – 7 August 2019, the Faculty of Human Ecology, Bogor Agricultural University, hosted the 3rd International Summer Course on Family Life among Agricultural Families in Indonesia “Family Well-being through Tropical Urban Farming.”, and two students from NICFD Miss Phichaya Thamromdee (Cheun) and Miss Sasiwimol Jaisilp (Nut) joined the course.
Activities in the International Summer were (1) in-class lectures, (2) field survey, (3) independent tasks, and (4) presentations on seminar.
- In-Class Lectures – to gain knowledge of Indonesian family condition which includes:
- Introduction to Home-yard and Urban Farming
- Family Portrait in Indonesia
- Family Portrait in Malaysia
- Family Portrait in South Korea
- Family Portrait in Thailand
- Family resources management
- Family Well-being and its indicators
- Financial resources management in the family
- Human resources management in the family
- Family life in Asia
- Field Survey – few days in field survey to observe family condition, interview and discuss with community leaders, and have field work in urban farming. Participants learnt how farming families manage the resources owned so as to achieve family well-being.
- Independent task – the participants wrote a final report in form of scientific poster and manuscript.
- Presentation – the participants were invited to present the field survey’s result in the 2nd International Seminar Family and Consumer Issues in Asia pacific “Challenging Family in Digital Era” on 5-6 August 2019 which hosted by the Faculty of Human Ecology, Bogor Agricultural University.
Attending this International Summer Course, NICFD’s Students not only gained knowledge but also had opportunity to discuss and exchange knowledge and experiences. This learning engagement will be shared and imparted to other students.